ISO 19109:2015 defines rules for creating and documenting application schemas, including principles for the definition of features.
The scope of this International Standard includes the following:
- conceptual modelling of features and their properties from a universe of discourse;
- definition of application schemas;
- use of the conceptual schema language for application schemas;
- transition from the concepts in the conceptual model to the data types in the application schema;
- integration of standardized schemas from other ISO geographic information standards with the application schema.
The following are outside the scope:
- choice of one particular conceptual schema language for application schemas;
- definition of any particular application schema;
- representation of feature types and their properties in a feature catalogue;
- representation of metadata;
- rules for mapping one application schema to another;
- implementation of the application schema in a computer environment;
- computer system and application software design;
Status: Under development
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 211 Geographic information/Geomatics
- ICS :
- 35.240.70 IT applications in science
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
ISO/AWI 19109Stage: 20.00
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.