This document defines a set of lossless (bit-preserving) and lossy compression methods for coding continuous-tone, bi-level, grey-scale, colour digital still images, or multi-component images.
– specifies extended decoding processes for converting compressed image data to reconstructed image data;
– specifies an extended codestream syntax containing information for interpreting the compressed image data;
– specifies an extended file format;
– specifies a container to store image metadata;
– defines a standard set of image metadata;
– provides guidance on extended encoding processes for converting source image data to compressed image data;
– provides guidance on how to implement these processes in practice.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2021-11
Edition: 2Number of pages: 333
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information
- ICS :
- 35.040.30 Coding of graphical and photographical information
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
Buy this standard
|std 1 208|
|std 2 208||Paper|
ISO/IEC 15444-2:2004/Amd 2:2006Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 15444-2:2004/Amd 3:2015Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 15444-2:2004/Cor 3:2005Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 15444-2:2004/Amd 4:2015Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 15444-2:2004/Cor 4:2007
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.92 (To be revised)
Will be replaced byUnder development
ISO/IEC DIS 15444-2
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.