ISO 16708:2006 specifies the functional requirements and principles for design, operation and re-qualification of pipelines in the petroleum and natural gas industries using reliability based limit state methods as permitted by ISO 13623. Reliability-based limit state methods provide a systematic way to predict pipeline safety in design and operation.
ISO 16708:2006 supplements ISO 13623 and can be used in cases where ISO 13623 does not provide specific guidance and where limit states methods can be applied, such as, but not limited to
- qualification of new concepts, e.g. when new technology is applied or for design scenarios where industry experience is limited,
- re-qualification of the pipeline due to a changed design basis, such as service-life extension, which can include reduced uncertainties due to improved integrity monitoring and operational experience,
- collapse under external pressure in deep water,
- extreme loads, such as seismic loads (e.g. at a fault crossing), ice loads (e.g. by impact from ice keels),
- situations where strain-based criteria can be appropriate.
ISO 16708:2006 applies to rigid metallic pipelines on-land and offshore used in the petroleum and natural gas industries.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2006-04
Edition: 1Number of pages: 57
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 67/SC 2 Pipeline transportation systems
- ICS :
- 75.200 Petroleum products and natural gas handling equipment
Buy this standard
|std 1 187|
|std 2 187||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.60 (Under review)
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.